It is very interesting to see websites like Google, Facebook, Twitter,Youtube, Yahoo and etc performing so well and getting traffic in millions every month. It was the start of this websites in the mid 90’s and internet was booming in the early 2000. There is this website called waybackmachine which has all the screenshot achieves of all the webpages . Let’s go back in time and brush up our memory down the lane on how this websites looked when they were launched.
1) This is how Google website looked in 1998
This is a screenshot of Google when it was first launched. They reason behind Google having such a simple home page is because Google did not have any webmaster who knew html .
2) This is how Facebook looked when it was launched in 2004
Everyone knows the story of Facebook and how Mark Zuckerberg single handedly developed the website in just 45 days. Now Facebook website has many different features and a very huge team, but during the initial time Facebook had a simple and basic look and Facebook was called TheFacebook.
3) This is how Twitter looked when it was launched in 2006
Twitter was launched in 2006 with a very simple home page with less features But today it is one of the big player in the world of social media. Twitter has the most number of celebrities using there platform than any other social media websites today. You will find people of the age 50+ using Twitter more.
4) This is how Apple website looked when it was launched in 1987 (screenshot from 1996)
Apple is currently the most valuable company in the world with amazing products like iPhone, iPad, Macbook, iWatch and many more was once a very struggling company in the 90’s. In the early days also Apple pushed mobile device eMate 300 which used Apple’s Newton platform but it was a big flop.
5) This is how Amazon website looked when it was launched
We could not find the screenshot of Amazon website of 1997 but we managed to get the screenshot from 1999. The amazon website looks a bit modern as compared to the year 1999 but it was a 2 year old company then so yes it had made many changes in the website.
6) This is how Yahoo website looked when it was launched
Yahoo was launched in January 1994 and it was the pre-Google era when people were only dependent on few search engines like Yahoo. The initial yahoo website had basic search engine and directory back then.
7) This is how Microsoft website looked when it was launched
During the initial time of Microsoft, it used to work on windows 98 and Internet Explorer 4. Where do you want to go today? was the slogan of Microsoft on it’s website when it was launched.
8) This is how Youtube website looked when it was launched in 2005
9) This is how Wikipedia website looked when it was launched in 2001