India is a country that celebrates unity in diversity. With a rich history and heritage, India is a place where you find landscape locations, many languages, cultures, and ethnicities. There are many surprising facts about India which most of the Indians do not know.
50+ Interesting Facts About India That Will Surprise You
India is a beautiful country and one of the largest democracy in the world. We have list of Facts about India that you will just love to know. Checkout the list below.
- India does not have a national language. Hindi is not a national language of India.
- The word ‘India’ has been derived from the Indus valley when there have been early settlements.
- India has the largest postal system in the world and also has a floating post office in Dal Lake.
- India has number of mosques than any Muslim country has and is one of the world’s largest democracies.
- India churns out the second largest number of engineers and scientists.
- Bollywood is the movie industry in India that makes the largest number of movies in the world.
- India is a country where more than 400 million people cast votes during elections.
- Jyoti Kisange Amge is the shortest woman in the world from India and her height is 62 centimeters.
- Vijay Kumar V.A has 37 teeth and is the person who has the most number of teeth in the world.
- The Indian Railways is the largest employer in the world that employs millions of people.
- The City Montessori School located in Lucknow is the largest school in the world.
- India has the largest milk production in the world.
- The world’s biggest family lives in Mizoram with a man having 39 wives, 94 children, and 33 grandchildren.
- ‘Zero’ is the number that was invented by Indian mathematician, Aryabhatta.
- Chess is a game that was invented in India.
- Since more than 5000 years yoga existed and originated in India.
- The decimal system was invented in India in 100 B.C.
- Poet and saint Gyandev developed Snakes and Ladders game in India in the 13th century.
- Takshila was the world’s first university that was established in 700 B.C.
- Buddhism and Jainism originated in India.
- Tirupathi is the world’s richest temple and 6 million are donated each year.
- Varanasi is the oldest city in the world.
- Kumbh Mela is the world’s largest attended events where 60 million people visit.
- India is amongst the world’s top five in terms of having a space program.
- Lonar Lake in Maharashtra was created due to the impact of a meteor.
- The Brihadeshwara Temple is the world’s first granite temple built in the 11th century.
- India was the richest country in the world up to the 18th century.
- There is more number of vegetarians in India than anywhere else in the world.
- Saichin, the world’s largest battlefield is controlled by India.
- Indira Gandhi has been the first and the only female Prime Minister India ever had.
- NH-44 is the largest highway that connects Varanasi to Kanyakumari.
- India was the place where diamonds were mined first.
- Chandrayaan-1 was the first Indian satellite to detect water on the moon.
- Taj Mahal, one of the Seven Wonders of The World, is located in Agra, India.
- India invented the concept of shampoo first in the world with the use of herbs.
- It is illegal to carry Indian currency outside India.
- India is the largest producer of tea in the world.
- The gathering of Kumbh Mela is so huge that it is also visible from the space.
- The Mawsynram village in Meghalaya receives the highest rainfall in the world.
- Bandra, Worli Sea link in Mumbai has used steel that can cover the circumference of the Earth.
- The Indian national team of Kabaddi sport won all of the world cups in every competition.
- Switzerland celebrates Science Day on May 6 in honor of former President APJ Abdul Kalam.
- The first rocket developed by India was transported on a bicycle.
- India has a special spa for pampering and taking care of elephants in Kerala.
- Surprisingly, India is the world’s second largest country that speaks English.
- India is the first country that has learned to develop and extract sugar.
- Shakuntala Devi is known as a human calculator as she could calculate 13 digit numbers picked randomly in 28 seconds.
- Rockstar Freddie Mercury and actor Ben Kingsley are of Indian descent.
- The concept of plastic surgery was developed in India in the 6th century by Sushruta, an ancient Indian surgeon.
- You can get personalized postage stamps in India.
- Chail, a town in Himachal Pradesh, has cricket ground at the largest altitude of 2444 meters from the sea level.
- Calculus and Trigonometry were invented in India.
Also View : Most Unpopular And Controversial Laws in India
Conclusion on Facts about India
We hope you loved our collection of facts about India. We will keep adding more information as and when we receive it. Also kindly comment below of you get more facts and stats about India. We will be happy to add it to our list.