Makar sankranti is the festival celebrated in different ways in different states of India. The Hindu Religion celebrates this festival every year and today we are here to discuss When is Makar sankranti 2018. As we are currently in 2017, this year the Makara Sankranti was celebrated on 14th January and every year the date remains the same. So, if you want to when is Makar Sankranti 2018, it is going to fall on 14th January 2018.
Before seeing how the festival is celebrated in various states, let us see what is the history of this festival and why it is celebrated.
The History of Makar Sankranti?
People say that, when Makar Sankranti arrives, our sun leaves the current zodiac and enters into the Capricorn’s sphere which is also known by the name of “Makar” whereas the word “Sankranti” represents the movement of the sun which means, the sun has now entered the new zodiac sign.
People believe that this is a good thing and it will bring more happiness in their life, so this is one of the main reason because of which people happily celebrates Makar Sankranti. As the festival falls in the starting days of new year, it is said that from this day, you will get more success and happiness in your life.
You must have heard about the famous Kumbh Mela. It is celebrated every year at a big level near the Makar Sankranti. The Kumbh Mela is for 6-7 days whereas the Makar Sankranti is celebrated only 1 day.
After looking at the history of why Makara Sankranti is celebrated and when is makar Sankranti 2018, let us discuss about by what names this festival is known as in various states of India.
Also View : Makar Sankranti Wishes
Top 7 Ways of How is Makar Sankranti Celebrated?
1) People Go for Shopping: Flying kites are fun and if sun rays are there, you need to wear sunglasses otherwise you will not be able to see your kite and some one will cut it. So, for flying your kite more and more high in the sky and for protection of eyes, people buy sunglasses, caps and so on.
2) You can Make Kites on Your Own: If you don’t know how to fly kites or if you don’t want to fly it, you can make kites for those who are flying it. Yes, it is fun. Try this year and enjoy the day. You can make colorful kites by customizing it in your ways and share it with your buddies through social media like WhatsApp and Facebook.
3) Try New Recipes: If you love cooking and relatives are coming at your place, you can experiment a new dish on that day and serve it to everyone. You can cook anything you want to and enjoy the lunch and dinner with your family or friends. Chikki is considered to be the most favorite sweet dish of everyone during MakarSankranti.
4) Go out for Dinner: If you are tired of flying kites and dancing all day and don’t want to cook anything at home, you can go out with your relatives for a tasty dinner. Most of the restaurants provide special offers and thalis during Navratri.
5) Enjoy bonfires: As the Sankranti falls during the winter season, you can enjoy the bonfire at night and do some interesting gossips.
6) Watch Movies: After flying kites, you can enjoy the evening shows of your favorite movies. You can go out with your buddies and after enjoying your movie, you can go for dinner or the long drive.
7) Bihu Dance: If you belong to Assam and because of work you are not able to visit your place, you can arrange a function by calling you friends at your place and you can enjoy Bihu Dance with them. Why Bihu Dance? Because it is celebrated in Assam during Makar Sankranti by assuming people.
The name by which Makar Sankranti is known in the Different States?
1) Gujarat: Gujarat is known for celebrating each and every festival in a fun way and MakarSankranti which is also known as Uttrayan is celebrated very excitedly in this state. On this day, the Gujarati people eat undhiyu and visit their relative’s place for flying kites. They set speakers on their terrace and enjoy the festival with their friends and family members.
2) Karnataka: The state is known for big IT companies and food, the Makara Sankranti festival in there is known by the name of “Suggi Habba”.
3) Tamil Nadu: Pongal is celebrated every year in Tamil Nadu by Tamilian people. They worship their god on that day and pray for happiness and success
Mentioned above are some of the states in India where Makar Sankranti is celebrated at a huge level. Now, let us discuss how it is celebrated and what are the best ways to celebrate and enjoy this amazing festival.
So, these are some of the best ways through which you can celebrate the Makara Sankranti festival. if you are still not confirmed that when is Makar Sankranti 2018, you can cross-check but every year the celebration date is 14th January only.
I hope and pray for all of you. May God bless you all and enjoy your day with your friends and relatives. Fly kites and eat good food but take care of yourself too. Drive slowly and safely.
Few Famous Makar Sankranti Wishes
1) A beautiful, bright and delightful day,
The sun entered makar to intense its rays.
Crops harvested to brighten up the smile,
Come together and enjoy all the while.
Kites flying high to touch the happiness,
Til mangled with sweet to spread sweetness.
Time to enjoy the moment with full intensity,
A very happy prosperous Makar Sankranti
2) May your life be long and your stocks be short,
May your cars be hybrid and your heart be pure,
May the God create a bail-out package for your sins in the past,
May you make more per-year than Joe-the-plumber,
May you find a fountain of youth in yo
3) Look Outside…
It’s so pleasant!
Sun Smiling For you…
Trees Dancing for you…
Birds singing for you…
Because I requested them All to wish you
HAPPY MAKAR SANKRANT!
4) kites flying high to touch the happiness,
til mangled with sweet to spread sweetness.
Time to enjoy the moment with full intensity
very happy prosporous Makar Sankranti
5) Kaat naa sake kabhi koi patang aap ki,
Toote naa kabhi dor aapke vishwas ki
Chu lo aap zindagi ki sari kamyabi,
Jaise patang chhuti h unchaiya aasman ki.
Wish You Happy Makar Sankranti