This is a mild chicken gravy recipe which was invented by Royal Chefs during the Moghul Emperor Shahjehan’s time. This is a mughlai food recipe with creamy ingredients like yogurt and kaju-almond paste. White Chicken Korma is a very rich food which is best served with parathas.
The original recipe calls for almonds in the recipe, but you can use only cashew nuts if you want. Also I like to garnish the chicken curry in this recipe with Kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) instead of coriander leaves. I also like to use ghee or butter instead of oil. But you can use whichever you want. You can always improvise!
So lets begin!
- Chicken – 1 kg
- Onions – 3 1/2 pureed
- Yogurt – 1 cup & 1/2 cup
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cashews – 12 pcs soaked in water 15 mins
- Fresh cream – 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 3 1/2 tbsp
- Ginger-Garlic-Green Chilli Paste – 3 tbsp (take green chillies more as that’s the only way we can make the chicken hot)
- Special Masala – Roast & Grind ( 1 tsp coriander seeds + 5 white peppercorns/black pepper + 2 cloves + 2 dry red chillies + 1 tsp cumin)
- Ground black pepper – 1 tsp
- Ghee/Butter – 3 tbsp
- Salt – As per taste
Garnish with coriander leaves or kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) pinch.
- Marinate the chicken in a bowl with yogurt, lemon juice and salt and 1 tsp ground black pepper.
- In a kadhai, heat ghee and add the onion puree and fry till golden brown.
- Add GGG paste and let it cook for a minute and half.
- Add the coconut and stir so that it doesn’t stick to the pan. Cook till the coconut becomes golden.
- Now add the cream, the remaining yogurt and the chicken. Add special masala and salt and mix well.
- Cover lid and cook on low flame for 25 mins.
- In a mixture make a paste of the cashews with a little water and add to the chicken curry. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with naan/paratha/rotis.